Open-source bus tracking/data project

Hello everyone,

I’ve joined this forum because I am seeking advice for my web-based bus project. It started out as a hobbyist realtime location tracking tool with localised features in mind.

I am now trying to create a powerful resource for passengers and decision makers alike. One feature I’m working most on is logging, processing and publicising real-world bus travel information. I want to use this data we collect to identify specific services or areas which are prone to delays at specific times for example. And to create an open-source resource for viewing open bus data.

I am far from an expert with Statistics/data, so if anyone has any advice for me on what data I am collecting and how it is processed and used I would be really very appreciative.

I have taken some inspiration from Open Innovations ‘bus-tracking’ tool but I want to take it further. There are also some other cool features on the site such as community engagement, interactive cross operator routes & fares zones, and transport policy advocacy information.

Feel free to view the site at Worthing Brighton Bus: live buses, fares and a case for better service (make sure to use this link or use flag ‘?preview=1’ at end of domain to show bus data tab) and you can view the source code on GitHub.

Thanks for your time and I would be very interested to hear anyone’s thoughts on the project!